Ministry Development Institute

Write a one to two page double-spaced paper explaining which book best personally describes Jesus and His ministry to you.  (Individual)

Post your work below.

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overall, I like reading from Luke the best.  I think that Luke was better at describing the situation better than the other two gospels.  Mark was right behind with Matthew following.  I am not sure, but is it correct that Matthew and Luke used a lot of material from Mark?  That would be interesting to dig into as well. 

The first place that I’ve noticed this was during reading about the transfiguration of Jesus on Mount Hermon.  I was really in awe during reading about this event and was wanting Matthew and Mark to do some more explaining as to what was happening.  During an event like this and at the location where it happened, you would think that elaborate, in depth visualization in the writings would be present.  I did like reading about this event in The Studies of the Life of Christ and it did explain some things more clearly.  For example, only in Luke did it explain that the three, Peter, John and James, fell asleep on the mountainside as Jesus went to pray.  I like hearing more detail in the writing because then you don’t have to assume.  The men were tired from their journey and from climbing the mountain. 

This is the case for a lot of events and stories in the Bible because if every story was elaborately described the Bible would take a decade to read (as it still does for many).  To have a side reading that does elaborate each story I think is important. 

I think it is still important to read all three gospels, Matthew, Mark and Luke.  This is due to the fact that some things could be interpreted differently in one reading that the other.  For example, in Matthew 19:9 it states that divorce is to not happen except during an act of sexual immorality.  In Mark, this is not said, just says divorce is not allowed.  This whole topic isn’t even covered in Luke.  Many things can be said, believed or done based on this verse alone if reading Matthew vs. reading Mark.  Therefore, I believe it is important to read all gospels and take from all.  This same term, sexual immorality, is used in the beatitudes in Matthew 5:32.  These beatitudes are only mentioned in Matthew and not Mark or Luke.  Again, it is important to read all gospels. 

Overall, I liked reading from Luke because at points this reading was more elaborate but at times this didn’t have material others covered.  Matthew was the only reading that covered the beatitudes.  Therefore, I like a certain book over the others but is important to read all gospels to get an overview of Christ’s life.  

I'm so thankful for this study. As you mentioned it's important to read all the gospels and take from all. That is something I have learned by going through this study. 

Which book personally describes Jesus and His ministry to me?

There are two gospels that I really enjoy reading that help me to understand who Jesus is and also best describe his ministry.  The basic understanding of Jesus to me come from two precise facts.  These facts are that Jesus is fully God and Jesus is fully human.  The Gospel of Luke and the Gospel of John are the two books that best illustrate these two principles of whom Jesus is to me.  

In 80-100 AD, Gentiles needed a Gospel that would be written specifically for them.  This gospel would need to help them understand that Jesus was not only there to give salvation and be the savior for the "chosen people" or the Nation of Israel, but salvation through faith in Jesus was offered to all people Jew or Gentile.  Luke clearly illustrates in Luke 1:1-4 his intentions are that after a deep study of the life of Jesus that he would give his account and address it to the gentiles.  Like 1:1-4 says "Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."  It is not clear exactly who Theophilus was and why he holds such a place of honor to the author of this Gospel, but we do know that thematically the Gospel was written with the gentiles in mind and very similar to the book of Acts.  

The second gospel I have chosen to highlight is the book of John.  The reason I really like the book of John is that the author clearly illustrates for the reader the majesty and deity of Christ.  The gospel begins in Chapter one talking about Jesus as the Word being there in the beginning with God.  John 1:1-5 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.  In John 2 we already see Jesus doing miracles as he changes water into wine.  

All of the Gospels are wonderful and beautiful, but for these reasons I have chosen to highlight Luke and John and the two Gospels that clearly illustrate that God is both fully God and Fully man.  This class has been a wonderful study into seeing the motivation of the author as he wrote his account of Jesus to his specific audience.  It is good to look at the life of Jesus in this way to see that through different accounts Jesus remains truth even when different people experience Him.  

I had a hard time picking just one book as well and feel that knowing Jesus as being fully God and fully man is very important to me.

Teresa,

You have been rocking this class.  It has been so hard for me to participate the way you do and the way I want to.  I really have enjoyed reading your comments on my phone when I take a second to breath!

Alex

Thanks Alex! That means more to me than you'll ever know. I have battled a fear of failure and that has kept me from taking any MDI courses over our years here at the Crossing. It's amazing the work God can do when you surrender to him. 

Make sure to take a breath & breathe in the presence of God! ;)

You are ALL truly rock stars! I'm not sure if I've learned more from our reading/videos or the assignments I've read. I'm very appreciative of each of you! Good luck and enjoy our next "200".

Right back at you Jason!!! I love seeing what God is doing in peoples lives and we get to see that here. I just registered for Servant Leadership - looking forward to another great class. 

Lonnie Hill

Life of Crist 104

February 3, 2016

Week-5 which book best personally describes Jesus and His ministry to you.  (Individual)

I personal like the book of Matthew. This book was written by Matthew he was a Jewish Tax collector and also he was also one of the twelve disciples that followed Jesus during His ministry. The book was written approximately 60-65 AD. The book is written in a first person account mainly to the Jews. The purpose was to present the clear evidence that Jesus was the Messiah, the savior. The gospel was not written in chronical order. The gospel forms a connecting link between the Old and New Testaments with its emphasis on the fulfillment of prophecy

I like the way Matthew opens the book by proving Jesus was a descendant of both King David and Abraham, just as Old Testament had predicted. However the Jewish people did not recognize him because they were looking for a different kind of king. I feel like Matthew 5:17 is a key verse in the book “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets: I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them” (Matthew 5:17).

I love to use the story of How Jesus called Matthew he simply says   “follow me” (this is one of the strongest statements in the Bible to me) and Matthew got up and left the booth and followed Jesus. Matthew left his life behind and followed Jesus on two words “follow me” (Matthew 9:9).   Jesus never made any promises to him, just two simple word changed Matthew’s life. I use this today to show how we must follow Jesus on faith, God does not make any promises of a better life what he does promise is eternal life for those who believe in Him. I can relate to this statement because Jesus called me to follow him by faith and I still not sure where he is leading me, but I am willing to follow Him where he leads.

I like the way Matthew gives his account of the Sermon on the Mount in greatest detail (Matthew 5, 6, 7) this is a sermon that is all in parables and Jesus does not explain the meaning to the people listening. I use the parable today to get people to think about their lives and where they fit into one of the parables. Once people see where they are in their walk with God, then they can see where they need to be in their daily lives to strengthen their faith. He started the sermon with the Beatitudes which are the different attitudes we have in our lives for serving God.  One of my favorite parables is Do Not Judge Matthew 7:1-6.  This is an area in my life I need to keep guarded because it is so easy to judge other people.    

The Book of Matthew is easy to read and to get an understanding of what Jesus was teaching but it also it has great depth of meaning that you can study and still not understand the true meaning of the word. Jesus spoke in a lot of parables and Mathew accounts are very detailed but we still need to read each account in other books to get a true picture of the account. Each book of the Gospels has great meanings and each account is a little different but they all have the same meaning and back each other on the word Jesus was teaching. 

I also like the book of Matthew. He was one of the biggest sinners of his time. Being a tax collector could not have been easy. But Jesus chose him to be one of the 12. Which gives me hope that he can use me also.

Book best personally describes Jesus and His ministry to you:

I have a couple gospels that really speak to me. One being Matthew. I feel that Matthew goes into more detail or seems to have a different point of view or reference to the other synoptic gospels. R.C. Foster does a great job at harmonizing each chapter with each of the gospels. This is where I found that Matthew related to me or just spoke to me more and explained Jesus’s life and ministry better than the other gospels. Matthews’s book is more focused on Jesus’s teaching, he quotes Jesus considerably more than the others. From Jesus being baptized by John, when he quotes Jesus’s words “Let me be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness”. (Matthew 3:15). To Jesus’ largest recorded sermon. “The sermon on the mount” as he strategically explained the Be-attitudes as well as Gods commands. This is one sermon that I personally have set a goal to memorize, as I see this being a huge tool to minister to others as I continue my walk with Christ.

I know we were to pick one book, but that’s a bit of an impossible task as there are so many great words spoken in each. So, John is another book that stands out to me. Although this is not a part of the “synoptic” gospels it contains a wealth of information and knowledge of Jesus and His ministry. The ever popular “John 3:16” of course. John also includes a considerable amount of material not found in the synoptic like the early Galilean ministry, Prior visits of Jesus to Jerusalem before the passion week, the seventh sign-miracle and the resurrection of Lazarus.

Which book personally describes Jesus and his ministry to me. 

I like reading from the book of Matthew. He was a tax collector and at that time he was

considered to be one of the worst kinds of people. But Jesus chose him anyhow. All though I believe you

have to read all of the Gospels to get the full story due to the differences of all there stories.  The book

of Matthew is a Gospel that contains Narrative History, Genealogy, Parables, and Sermons. It was

written by Matthew (Levi), the Disciple of Christ around 48-50 A.D. The key word in Matthew is

"Kingdom" and is used 28 times.

It starts out with the genealogy of Jesus which goes all the way back to Abraham. The First four

chapters are about Jesus birth and events surrounding his early life. Which are not in Mark and John.  

Matthew starts out with the birth which is primarily told as the Christmas story. In Matthew 3 is where

John the Baptist started to make the way for Jesus's coming. Mark and John both start the writings with 

John the Baptist. 

Then we come to my favorite part of Matthew. 5,6 and 7. Beatitudes and the Sermon on the

Mount. Matthew gives great detail to The Sermon on the Mount. Which is the guide to how we should

live  our lives. The only other Gospel to mention the Mount is Luke 6:20-49 and it is short in

compression to Matthews. Matthew also includes at least fourteen parables. Mark has only four, John

has none. But the book of Luke thirty-three. So i would say Luke is better in that seance.

The last three chapters tell how the death and resurrection of Jesus.  These chapters present the truth

of the "Good News" and how Jesus took the weight of our sins upon himself. Numerous and amazing Old

Testament prophecies are fulfilled frequently in these final chapters. When ever i am in the word the

Holy Spirit always pulls me to Matthew. Matthew 28:16-20 and Mark 16:14-20 are the only two that

mention the Great Commission.

I feel Matthew is filled with a lot of Jesus actual words and teachings. That is why i like reading from

Matthew.  It covers Jesus's life from beginning to his resurrection. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by The Crossing MDI.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service